Hello and Happy Valentine’s Day my loves!
Image and Recipe created by: Sonya Khanna
Here is a beautiful plant-based recipe and it only takes 10-20 minutes! Cocoa is proven to have many health benefits (listed at the bottom of the page), so don’t forget your healthy ‘dark chocolate’ this Valentine’s Day!
On holidays we tend to want to do what is easy, by going to the store to just pick up something quick. The problem with that is the store bought treats usually contain refined sugar, mucus forming dairy, and preservatives. These ingredients cause diseases, allergies, headaches, stomachaches, and weight gain. So this Valentine’s Day, don’t settle for unhealthy ingredients! Try this easy, quick, no bake recipe for a clean and lovely day!
1 cup of cashews/pecans/almonds or mixed nuts you may prefer
1 1/2 tbsp nut butter
3 tbsp maple syrup/honey
4 medjol coconut date rolls/ 5-6 regular medjol dates
2 tbsp mini dairy-free chocolate chips for nut mixture
1/3 cup mini dairy-free chocolate chips for chocolate topping
1 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp cocoa powder
1 tsp of vegan butter/ coconut oil for chocolate topping
1/2 tsp sea salt
A pinch of cinnamon and cocoa powder
- Melt chocolate and vegan butter/coconut oil over stove on low heat.
- Blend all nuts, cocoa powder, and salt in food processor until finely ground.
- Add in dates, and blend until fulled blended.
- Add syrup, nut butter, and coconut oil, and pulse until the mixture is completely blended. Then mix the chocolate chips in.
- Press the mixture on parchment/wax paper in a large rectangle Tupperware into a 1/2 inch thick rectangle.
- Allow the chocolate to melt, but only enough to be spreadable (like a nut butter). Spread the chocolate on top of the mixture. If the mixture breaks up while spreading the chocolate, allow it to cool in the fridge for a bit to solidify first.
- After spreading the chocolate sprinkle a few pinches of sea salt, cinnamon, and cocoa powder over the top.
- Cut into bars or squares, pop it in the fridge, wait 10 to 20 minutes and its as easy as that!
Enjoy these clean, healthy, all-natural, vegan treats. They are guilt free and contain plenty of vitamins and nutrients. ♥
Health Benefits of Raw Cocoa:
(Keep in mind you will not get these benefits from processed chocolate/candy with chocolate)
- Helps to release neurotransmitters in the brain like serotonin (a chemical in the brain that activates happiness)
- Contains iron, magnesium, and calcium!! (essential for oxygen-carrying proteins, muscle and nerve function, strong bones, etc.)
- Contains phosphorous, copper, and manganese (essential for growth/repair of cells)
- Good source of potassium and zinc (crucial to heart function, immune function, etc.)
- Contains protein
- Good source of dietary fiber
- Contains anti-inflammatory, anti-allergenic, and anti-cancer properties
- Helps to lower LDL cholesterol
- Improves insulin resistance
- Improves metabolism
- Improves elasticity of blood cells
- Helps to maintain a healthy circulatory system
- Contains high levels of anti-oxidants
- Aids in enhancing skin elasticity, hydration, and density
- Contains flavonols epicatechin and catechin (benefits in treating neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s)
- Helps in preventing the development of various kinds of infections in the body
- Proven to have antidepressant-like effects
- Help to enhance mood
- Detoxes the blood
- Encourages better bowel function
- May inhibit the growth of cancer cells
- Helps reduce high-fat diet-induced obesity
- Helps to maintain a healthy brain
- Aids in reducing oxidative stress on the mind
- IT TASTES DELICIOUS!